The athletes and fitness trainers are in general found deficient in zinc and magnesium levels in their body.
It is mainly due to sweating and losing these minerals through urine due to excessive drinking of water and other liquids during the highly exerting activities they undergo. ZMA supplement is one of the best way to recoup the zinc and magnesium levels in our body. Needless to mention, zinc and magnesium are essential for the anabolic muscular activities in our body.
(For more information about ZMA supplement, please visit the article on- The effects and side effects of ZMA).
In this article, we will discuss the best time to take ZMA and how to take ZMA for gaining maximum benefit.
When to take ZMA supplement
Chances are, you might be taking other supplements and wish to include ZMA as well. Now you might be thinking to whether or not incorporate ZMA as it might clash with other supplements that you are already taking. Or you might be taking ZMA already and reluctant to start on other supplementation like for calcium or iron.
The ZMA supplementation routine can perfectly go well with the other supplements that you are taking. It is just that one needs to keep a balance between the timings of taking different supplements. The best time to take ZMA is half an hour before bed and at least an hour after your meals or other supplement dose. It is found that taking ZMA before bed also enhances your sleep. And a good, tight sleep means greater recovery rate for your muscles and more energetic mornings.
How to take ZMA supplement
ZMA supplement is usually available in the form of capsules and comprising 30 mg zinc, 450 mg magnesium, and 10.5 mg vitamin B6 per dosage. The tablet and powder forms of ZMA are also available, but they are not as popular as the ZMA capsules. It should be taken once in a day and on an empty stomach.
By empty stomach, we mean you just have to keep a gap of about an hour or half after having your meal or any other supplementation. Actually, the presence of other minerals in our food like copper, iron, or calcium may compete with our body’s likelihood of absorbing zinc and magnesium. Let us point out the factors to consider before starting ZMA supplementation-
- Point 1: ZMA is not a steroid, but it does increase the testosterone levels in our body. If you are already taking some prescription drugs or undergoing any treatment, then first consult your nutritionist before starting ZMA routine.
- Point 2: Take ZMA from a trusted manufacturer and tally the composition. The standard dosage ZMA is 30 mg zinc, 450 mg magnesium, and 10.5 mg vitamin B6 for men and 20 mg zinc, 300 mg magnesium, and 7 mg vitamin B6 for women.
- Point 3: Do not overdose yourself with ZMA and consume them only for a recommended duration, as suggested by your trainer or nutritionist. Since ZMA enhances the testosterone levels, women can experience traits like faster growth of body hair.
How much to take?
As mentioned above, one should take only one dose of ZMA each day.
The quick takeaways from this read-
- The best time to take ZMA supplement is about half an hour before going to bed
- ZMA is most effective in empty stomach
- One should take ZMA only once in a day
- Avoid taking ZMA in combination with other supplements
Folks, we hope that by now you have got an idea about how to take the ZMA supplement and the best time to take ZMA. Are you already benefited from ZMA? Do share your experiences. Or are you planning to start using this supplement? If you have doubts, feel free to drop in your queries in the comment section below. We would be happy to help in all possible way we can.
Happy and pleasant training!